Wednesday, May 28, 2008

Let's Go Pens!

Tonight we're cheering in my house. And with their win against the Detroit Red Wings, the Pittsburgh Penguins are cheering in their house - Mellon Arena. For anyone who had written the Pens off because they hadn't even scored a goal in the first two games, think again. This young team has a lot of passion and showed it tonight. I don't know if they will win it all, but if the rest of the games are like tonight, it will be a lot of fun to watch (just pass me the Tums).

The Pens being in the finals for the first time since 1992 really brought back a ton of memories for me. I was a new hockey fan back then. I was going to school at the University of Pittsburgh and staying in Pittsburgh for the summer to work. We were hockey crazy. Oh, how we wanted to go to a game but being cash strapped college students we had to settle for watching on TV. When they won it all, we did go down to Three Rivers Stadium for the rally though. Blew off work and everything. It's funny, I hadn't thought about that summer for years. Sid the Kid and Company has brought back those easy-living days of youth - to Pittsburgh hockey and to me, if only as a memory.

I hope they win, I really do. They're a special group. And I want them to win because it will bring 1992 back just a little more. Not that I want to be 19 again, but it's nice to remember when I was.

No comments: