Wednesday, May 21, 2008

Transport Tycoon Deluxe

Transport Tycoon Deluxe is one of my most favorite games. It had been some time since I played it and I was reminded of it by a tv show - Modern Marvels. This episode was on freight trains and how their networks, which criss-cross the nation, operate. This in itself is quite fascinating and very interesting. But it was this that reminded me of the game where you build networks (primarily rail, although there are other modes available) between cities and industries. And you make money by hauling commodities - passengers, mail, coal, ore, lumber, goods.



When I first started playing, years ago, my husband and I would stay up all night - time just seemed to fly by. We had one scenario and we would take turns working on it. The map was so large you could easily jump to a new area when you were tired of your current scene. We would build super rail highways that connected all the different cities and raw materials to their industries very efficiently.



Of course now that we have a little baby I don't dare stay up all night. For sure when I want to go to sleep, she will want to get up. So I just play a little here and there, whenever I can. But it is fun trying to remember all the techniques I once used. And there are new features to discover all the time, which makes the game fresh again.



Well, I'm going to go play a little transport tycoon now, before I have to go to bed.

No comments: